Celebrating National Volunteers Week (NVW)
Category : Updates
Aquaculture without Frontiers (AwF) relies heavily on people who are prepared to devote time and effort to the cause – without this most generous gift we could never have achieved anything like what we have over the years. We salute all volunteers but we are especially keen to support our own people during this special week.
National Volunteers Week is celebrated in North America 23-29 April but is celebrated at other times in other countries e.g. in Australia it is 8th -14th May.
During this period, we reflect on our three-year engagement with Volunteers for Economic Growth Alliance (VEGA) which is an umbrella organization consisting of economic development organizations that integrate highly skilled volunteers into programs mainly funded through the USAID program. VEGA is involved in many and varied projects that involve one or more of the member organizations. We have not reached the lofty goals that we would have hoped in collaborating with all the VEGA members to be their ‘aquaculture’ experts but we will not stop trying.
During NVW we would like you to:
- Join in at least one of our established social media platforms and invite a friend to join
- Twitter account @AwFVols
- LinkedIn – https://www.linkedin.com/groups/3950994
- Facebook – AwF Aquaponics Club – https://www.facebook.com/awfaquaponics/
- Facebook – AwF Women’s Network https://www.facebook.com/groups/awfwomen/
- Facebook – AwF Global Indigenous Network https://www.facebook.com/groups/indigenousAwF/
- Facebook – Ornamental Aquaculture Club https://www.facebook.com/groups/526444844203976/
- Facebook – AwF Students Network https://www.facebook.com/groups/1149157495123851/
- Facebook – AwF Latin America https://www.facebook.com/AwF-Latin-America-1798941360318244/?fref=ts
- Post to social media above a relevant photograph (highlighting what volunteering means to you) during the NVW to share
- Send to us a single word or phrase that means ‘volunteer’ to you, e.g. ‘giving’, ‘satisfaction’ or ‘Yeah!’ From all the input, we will create a word cloud to add to the website, giving us a combined sense of everyone’s contribution.
Throughout the week check the stories in our Volunteer section.